Friday, April 25, 2014

Review: "D" Is for Deadbeat by Sue Grafton

D Is For Deadbeat (Kinsey Millhone, #4)
“D” Is for Deadbeat
Sue Grafton
Series: Kinsey Millhone Mysteries (Book 4)
Paperback: 320 pages
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Source: Library

The client came to Kinsey Millhone with an easy job--just deliver $25,000 to a fifteen-year-old kid. A little odd, and a little too easy, but Kinsey took Alvin Limardo's retainer check anyway. It turned out to be as phony as he was. In real life, his name was John Daggett, a chronic drunk with a record as long as your arm and a reputation for sleazy deals. But he wasn't just a deadbeat. By the time Kinsey caught up with him, he was a dead body--with a whole host of people who were delighted to hear the news. But how do you make a stiff pay up what he owes you?


Review


I have been curious about this series for a long time.  I even picked up a copy of one of the books in a $1 bin at a used bookstore, but didn't get around to reading it yet.  I was at the library earlier in the week and saw they had "D" is for Deadbeat, and since I was in the mood for something a little fluffy (after reading the description of the book, it seemed like it could be very Stephanie Plum-like), I checked it out.  It only took a few days to complete all 6 discs--I did a little more driving than usual this week, which helped.
 
I wasn't at all disappointed.  Grafton crafted a story that took precious little brain power to keep up with (I'm very thankful for that! It was one of those kind of weeks) yet was entertaining and well thought-out at the same time.  There wasn't much to Kinney Milhone, but I didn't expect there would be.  After all, this series is long.  Series like these typically have character-development over the course of all the books.
 
I didn't see the ending coming, and that's surprising, because I thought I had figured it out.  I mean, honestly, I never figure "it" out, but I thought I had!  
 
It's like a flashback to a different era, too.  "D" is for Deadbeat was originally released in 1987--I turned 6 that year.  It was fun, traveling back to a time where typewriters were all the rage and answering machines were a requirement at any home or office.
 
This is pretty much what I expected it to be, and exactly what I needed.
 
4 Moons
 
textspace_1360373602_c671aff2(3)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for the comment love!