Thursday, August 21, 2014

Back to School Book Blogger Challenge: Day 4


Back to School Book Blogger Challenge
Want to join in the fun? Go over to Parajunkee and link up!

Todays question/activity:

If you are a parent, or have advise for parents… What do you do (or think would work) to foster the love of reading to your kids?


As a mom I try to find about things my kids are already interested in. This is always easy with Nonfiction books with my little ones. For instance my three girls are obsessed with all things bugs, and/or animals so these are what I get for them:


Animal Grossapedia10735601National Geographic Kids 125 True Stories of Amazing Animals: Inspiring Tales of Animal Friendship & Four-Legged Heroes, Plus Crazy Animal Antics


Fiction books are a bit harder with my kids for some reason. I try to keep them interested by doing different voices for each character, eating snacks that the characters eat in the book, and also if there is a movie version we always celebrate finishing a book with movie night.


20140613_143732 

This summer we read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. Yes, this book is exciting, but when you are dealing with a 5, 7, and 9 year old I have to bring out a few surprises to keep everyone paying attention. So when Harry and Ron got chocolate frogs with a wizard card my kids got the same.


20140613_144040 


I’m excited to see what others do to encourage reading!
Happy hopping
405963466341715050814

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I never thought of letting the kids eat the snacks from the books. I should have because that is actually something I love to do myself!! Great ideas. I also think the nonfiction books are really cool for children, I'm actually going to get my little one some now too!

    Back To School
    Whitney@Shooting Stars Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading a lot of non-fiction books when I was little, especially if they were about cats or horses. My mum definitely got bonus points if she got me fiction books that had cats or horses in them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips.. i never thought about the snack one

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for the comment love!